HOW TO START A CAPSULE WARDROBE

April 21, 2016


Want to make choosing what to wear in the morning that much easier? Why not try a capsule wardrobe? Besides it being extremely practical it’s also what all those cool French women do and who doesn’t want to be an incredibly cool French woman. I’ve only recently started my own capsule experiment and thought I would share some tips on how to start your very own simplified set of clothes.

First of all you need to understand why you’re streamlining your wardrobe down to a basic core. I’m doing it because I often found myself going shopping just because I wanted to buy something new. Not because I needed it, or would get much use out of. This led to me buying things that would maybe only get worn once or twice and when I would look at it I’d question myself why in the world I bought it in the first place. I want a small wardrobe with quality pieces, quality being the key word. Investing in items that can be worn multiple seasons and stepping away from the fast fashion offered by low budget chains like Primark.

So how do you start your own capsule? First you sit yourself down in front of your closet and weed through every single piece in there. Clear out anything that doesn’t fit right, is stained beyond rescue or you haven’t worn in a year. When you doubt whether or not you want to get rid of something ask yourself this: “If I found it in a store now, would I buy it again?” If the answer is no, throw it out.

I say throw it out but be a little more environmentally friendly than that and put them up for sale if the clothes are still in good shape, apps like Vinted are great for easily reselling clothing. Everything you don’t sell can be donated to your local Goodwill or thrift shop. Or take it to your local H&M they’re really big on recycling and offer you discounts when you recycle your clothes there (yes, even if they haven’t been bought there)

Next up is the planning phase of your wardrobe. Most capsule closets have between thirty and forty pieces in it. That’s ranging everything from basic tops to the shoes you’re wearing the entire season. This is where it gets tricky. Because you might want to add eight pairs of shoes, but that means you’re going to have to compromise somewhere else.

You’re going to have to find a balance between formal and casual. Which is where it gets tricky, for instance I absolutely love faded blue jeans with rips in them, but there is no way I can make that work in a formal or professional situation, so do I add them to my capsule or not? Yes, yes I do. Because I’m stubborn and I had a few pieces left to make an even forty.

When you have made your selection of what you’re going to be using in your capsule you need to put away everything else. I can speak from experience if you keep it hanging in your closet, you’re not going to be using your capsule the way it was intended. For me it’s a challenge to keep my outfits interesting during the months even with a limited selection of clothing.

There are many sites online with resources to plan your own capsule wardrobe, I really like the ones provided by Unfancy, because Caroline’s reasons were similar to my own. There you can find a free wardrobe planner which will come in really handy when you’re getting your first capsule together. Also this site is great for when you need that extra little push to start your own capsule.

And that’s it! Quite the story, right? I have to admit that it took some getting used to my smaller streamlined closet. But now that I’m using a smaller set of clothes I’m more at ease with my own personal style. That’s because my capsule isn’t based on trends, but based on items that are versatile and dear to my heart. Soon I’ll be showing you just what is included in my Spring 2016 capsule wardrobe.Want to make choosing what to wear in the morning that much easier? Why not try a capsule wardrobe? Besides it being extremely practical it’s also what all those cool French women do and who doesn’t want to be an incredibly cool French woman. I’ve only recently started my own capsule experiment and thought I would share some tips on how to start your very own simplified set of clothes.

First of all you need to understand why you’re streamlining your wardrobe down to a basic core. I’m doing it because I often found myself going shopping just because I wanted to buy something new. Not because I needed it, or would get much use out of. This led to me buying things that would maybe only get worn once or twice and when I would look at it I’d question myself why in the world I bought it in the first place. I want a small wardrobe with quality pieces, quality being the key word. Investing in items that can be worn multiple seasons and stepping away from the fast fashion offered by low budget chains like Primark.

So how do you start your own capsule? First you sit yourself down in front of your closet and weed through every single piece in there. Clear out anything that doesn’t fit right, is stained beyond rescue or you haven’t worn in a year. When you doubt whether or not you want to get rid of something ask yourself this: “If I found it in a store now, would I buy it again?” If the answer is no, throw it out.

I say throw it out but be a little more environmentally friendly than that and put them up for sale if the clothes are still in good shape, apps like Vinted (ADD DIRECT LINK HERE) are great for easily reselling clothing. Everything you don’t sell can be donated to your local Goodwill or thrift shop. Or take it to your local H&M they’re really big on recycling and offer you discounts when you recycle your clothes there (yes, even if they haven’t been bought there)

Next up is the planning phase of your wardrobe. Most capsule closets have between thirty and forty pieces in it. That’s ranging everything from basic tops to the shoes you’re wearing the entire season. This is where it gets tricky. Because you might want to add eight pairs of shoes, but that means you’re going to have to compromise somewhere else.

You’re going to have to find a balance between formal and casual. Which is where it gets tricky, for instance I absolutely love faded blue jeans with rips in them, but there is no way I can make that work in a formal or professional situation, so do I add them to my capsule or not? Yes, yes I do. Because I’m stubborn and I had a few pieces left to make an even forty.

When you have made your selection of what you’re going to be using in your capsule you need to put away everything else. I can speak from experience if you keep it hanging in your closet, you’re not going to be using your capsule the way it was intended. For me it’s a challenge to keep my outfits interesting during the months even with a limited selection of clothing.

There are many sites online with resources to plan your own capsule wardrobe, I really like the ones provided by un-fancy.com, because Caroline’s reasons were similar to my own. There you can find a free wardrobe planner which will come in really handy when you’re getting your first capsule together. Also this site is great for when you need that extra little push to start your own capsule.

And that’s it! Quite the story, right? I have to admit that it took some getting used to my smaller streamlined closet. But now that I’m using a smaller set of clothes I’m more at ease with my own personal style. That’s because my capsule isn’t based on trends, but based on items that are versatile and dear to my heart. Soon I’ll be showing you just what is included in my Spring 2016 capsule wardrobe.
Post Comment
Post a Comment